Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Time in the ark

I was reading about Noah the other day, and something struck a chord with me. First, I've never really paid attention to the fact that they were in the ark for almost one year. I'm sure I've heard this before, but that point never really settled into the wrinkles in my brain. I mention it because I am a person that wants instant answers and instant fixes. The idea of being trapped in a big smelly boat full of animals and no lido deck makes me want to gnaw my foot off - let alone being stuck there for a YEAR!

Then I realized that sometimes God needs to put us in a place of confinement for our protection, healing and growth. He may surround us only with what we need. Food, shelter and family. We may experience this as a result of some cleansing He is doing in our world around us - but often times it is because He needs to do some cleansing within us.

I recently decided that I will need to move back home for a couple of years. I love my family dearly and have no problems living with them. But I dread the thought of temporarily giving up my independence and reducing my living quarters to one small bedroom. Then I read the story of Noah. It made me realize that this is my ark time. Some changes need to be made. Cleansing needs to take place. Rebuilding needs to be done.

So I welcome this upcoming period of "confinement." I look forward to the day God opens the door and I step out into a whole new refreshing beginning.

No comments: