Friday, January 11, 2008

Have a nice day

Today after work I had to stop by the store (isn't it funny how we use these huge generalities in life? 'The store' as if there's only one store. Anyway - moving on.). As I was leaving, I met a girl at the door. She was about my age, maybe a few years younger. She was coming in as I was leaving. As we both approached the door, she reached it first so she held the door open to allow me to exit. I said, "Thank you" and stepped over the threshold. Then the most amazing thing happened...

She said, "You're welcome. Have a good afternoon."

I was a bit startled at first. Don't get me wrong. I've shared many, "excuse me's" , "thank you's" , and "you're welcome's" over the thresholds of many a doorway. But I don't think I've ever received a follow-up "Have a good afternoon." Wow!

It instantly perked me up and lifted my spirit. I wasn't in a bad mood or anything, just my usual self-absorbed shell where I exist in my head somewhat oblivious to the world around me. Don't worry. I didn't leave her hanging. I did respond with a hearty, "Thanks! You too!"

This girl's simple act and statement of kindness and outreach really impacted my day. So wherever you are, Girl From Hobby Lobby, thank you for bringing a smile to my day!! I hope I can be more like you. The world would certainly be a better place if we all treated each other that way. What is it the new Allstate commercial says? Drive like there are real people on the road with you rather than just something that's in your way (or something like that).

1 comment:

Rhonda K said...

That's pretty cool! I'm gonna have to remember that...get out of my little box and brighten someones day!

Thanks for sharing.