Friday, January 25, 2008

Eternal Investments

Well, I did it. Like driving a stake through the heart of a vampire, I did it. I dropped my cable TV. Actually, I kept the basic K-Mart stuff. I guess I'll get the first 11 channels or so. Mainly the networks, which I never watch anyway. But hey - at least if there's a storm within 200 miles of the coast, Rich Thomas will let me know so I can run to Publix and buy all the bread and water with the rest of the irrational population of MGM.

I am somewhat saddened by the "break up" with the cable company. I feel as though I have said good-bye to a dear friend. In fact, as I sit here and type, I am dressed in all black, veil included. Okay, not really - but I am sad nonetheless.

I felt like God has been "suggesting" to me that I lose the cable for some time now. I've been hearing Him without hearing Him, if you know what I mean. I am certain He has some amazing things planned for us to do together now that He has more of my attention, but I sure will miss those BravoTV marathons!

I read an article today written by Jill Carattini (a senior associate writer at Ravi Zacharias International Ministries). The article was about integrity and choices, but the last line really jumped out at me and could apply to almost any situation in life. It read:

What if you were to determine that what you are fostering here on earth, you will discover more of in heaven? Would it change the way you make decisions today?

I invest a lot of time in wasteful things like TV. Please don't misunderstand - there is nothing wrong with watching some TV. But I seem to have an art for taking things to the extreme. I think of TV and other things that I sometimes pour myself into and when run through the filter of Jill's question - there are many things that I wouldn't want MORE of in heaven! I have to wonder how much time I have spent fostering my career or watching TV or developing the fine art of shopping (poor money management). Then I stop to consider...how much time have I spent fostering my relationships, both with God and with others. How much time have I spent developing my character and gifts/talents God has blessed me with?

Again, please know that I think it is perfectly okay to spend a lazy Saturday watching movies every once in a while. I think it's wonderful to have a "pointless" hobby. Shopping, reading books and eating chocolate are all fabulous! But making these things an art form or using them as a replacement for God - that is where they cross the line.

Life is about balance. More importantly - it is about seeing things from an eternal perspective. Making investments in things personally, spiritually, relationally that really matter. The rest is just flash anyway.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

You know, we never give up something without receiving in return. I believe that the Lord is going to bless you in this decision in numerous ways--with more time for growing closer to Him and others, developing your photography skills, preparing to move, etc. You may be giving up something you really enjoy, but I think you'll get a greater return in the long run.