Thursday, January 10, 2008

God in the Flesh

For the past few weeks I have been listening to a couple of speakers on Christian radio at lunch. The Bible studies and lessons are always timely. For the past couple of days I've been listening to a guy named Stuart McAlister. Today he cited this quote:

"The incarnation should be the model for missions."

The Word became flesh and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)

Are we living as God in the flesh to the world around us? Jesus' whole being was to bring others into a relationship with God. Is mine? Whether we are at home, at work, overseas, at the grocery store. Does my life cause the word to become flesh to those around me? Does my life really revolve around bringing Christ to the world?

Another thing that hit me there is "dwelt among us." I have been blessed to have had many non-believing friends throughout my life. I know this is something a lot of Christians struggle with - only having friends at church. Sometimes my non-Christian friends teach me more about God and Christianity than church does. My non-believing friends keep me grounded in a different way than my Christian friends do. They help me see beyond the starch, fake, church act we sometimes play with each other. Often times they are more quick to call me out when I step out of line. They keep me real.

On the flip side, while the lost of the world may not have a relationship with God - who do they often turn to when they have a crisis or a question? One of His children. When their lives fall apart or they need support, they may come seeking advice or even prayer. It is in these times that I hope I am able to help them see it is God they really seek.

This lesson today had so much good information (way too much to share in one post) but that one statement really reminded me that I need to remember that my life should cause the word to become flesh, a walking sermon if you will, to the lost around me. At the same time, I need to actually dwell among some unbelievers if I ever intend to minister to any!

No comments: