Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Spiritual Marinade

I love a good juicy steak or chicken breast that has been marinated well. Man, how that enhances the flavor! I've also eaten my share of unmarinated meat. It'll do, but it's certainly no substitution for the full deal.

While marinating is a virtual miracle in the kitchen, I don't much care for it when I am the "meat." Since I feel like I spend a lot of time marinating spiritually, I decided to look up the term online just to see what I found. I was amused. (Check it out here.)

Of course, we all know that marinating is the process of soaking food in some form of liquid in order to juicy it up. It also helps soften tough meat and vegetables. The marinade is often acidic because that helps break down the tissue and allow it to absorb moisture (thus, the juicy). Here's one thing I didn't know...There is a reaction that occurs within meat when it is char-broiled that is said to produce cancer causing agents. However, if the meat is marinated first, the production of those agents is reduced 92-99%.

When God is trying to soften me up or break me down so I am better able to absorb His Spirit, I am often trying to climb out of the marinade. I'm ready to hop on the grill. If allowed to marinate properly, I'd be "juicy" and when squeezed by life, His Spirit would flow from me more abundantly. But when I try to fore go the marinade and jump right into the flames, I am at greater risk for developing cancer causing agents, thus becoming infected and possibly infecting others.

So I am trying very hard to work on patiently waiting in the marinade. Soaking up all I can. Because, truthfully - when I am finally released to jump into the flames, then I'll be blogging about how hot it is and wishing I was back in the marinade! Oh, that I could simply be open and content where ever I am!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yoga will prepare you for meditation. meditation will prepare you for prayer. prayer will prepare you for the fire. eternal light of Christ. star. sun. center of solar system.