Friday, April 21, 2006

Heaven Revisited

I was talking to my mom today about a book she is reading by John Ortberg. The book is entitled "God Is Closer Than You Think." I haven't read the book yet, but I am intrigued. Apparently he explores the idea that in the same way people have different personalities, people also have different means of connecting with God. Some connect with Him by experiencing nature, some in worship, some in meditation and some in relationships. I definitely connect to God through my relationships with others. Talking, sharing, praying, exploring - all done with other Christians, excites and energizes me.

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."
-Proverbs 27:17
My friend, Lisa, definitely sharpens me. A comment she posted on my blog a few days ago helped redirect my thought process and attitude toward this whole eternity issue. While I don't fully comprehend what judgment and eternity will be like, I can still rejoice in the fact that it will happen. I can also share that joy with those that do not know Christ. I don't have to have a perfect and complete understanding of every aspect of eternity in order to "sell" someone else on it.
I have never been married. My married friends can tell me all day long what marriage is like, but until I experience it for myself, I cannot fully understand where they are coming from. I still hope to marry some day.
I've never given birth to a child. I can watch the Discovery Health Channel all day long, even go to lamaze classes - but until I experience it firsthand, I will never comprehend the physical pain and emotional elation of that process. I still hope to become a mother some day.
I've never been to Italy. I can read stories, look at pictures, learn to speak Italian and eat Chicken Scaloppine at every meal - but I can only imagine what sunset in Tuscany will really look like in person. I still plan to experience it some day.
I am guilty of being impatient, trying to skip ahead to the end. I have always been one to catch on to things fairly quickly. I didn't study much in school, but made good grades - honor roll and Beta Club even. I can't tell you how many people have rolled their eyes at me and told me how lucky I was to be one of those people that can just sit in class and pick up everything without having to study. I couldn't disagree more. Because I didn't have to study, I developed a sense of learned laziness. So when I run into something like eternity that I cannot comprehend and cannot figure out, I am consumed with frustration - which often results in me giving up. I never developed the discipline of persistence because I didn't have to.
So I am thankful for friends like Lisa who help bring me down off the ceiling when I am having a "why can't I conquer the world" moment. Sometimes I just need a reality check. Logically I know that I will not fully understand Heaven until I get there. Meanwhile I can continue to study God's word, embrace what I do understand and learn to love the mystery of the rest.
After all, if God wants to throw us a surprise party - who are we to steal His joy! He's given us everything we need to know to successfully navigate life's journey toward eternity. If He has purposefully left out a few party details, we can't get stuck obsessing over those missing pieces and neglect the treasure chest He has given us.

No comments: