Monday, December 06, 2004

Elmo Rocks!

Well, it's been about a hundred years since my last post. Sorry to say that I am one of those people with a commitment problem. I love "new toys" and things like that, but after a while my ADD kicks in and I wander off to something else. But I'm back. Trying to keep my bloggin' alive.

Last week I had the priviledge of baby-sitting my little Emily (see her picture in a previous post). Her parents are really good friends of mine. I called them up and asked them if they would let me come over and play with Emily so they could go out on a date. They were, of course, thrilled.

Emily and I had the best time. And, as I usually do, I found several things about that evening that spoke to me about life as a Christian. First, Emily and I watched Elmo (or Melmo as she calls him) at least 6 times. Having no children of my own, I've never really been exposed to Elmo. I fell in love with him that night. Truthfully, I'd like to be more like Elmo. He laughs all the time (oh, wait. I already do that!). He is extremely patient (although I've yet to see him drive in Alabama traffic). He isn't afraid to ask questions. And he's just so darn friendly. I think we could all learn a lot from that little guy. Man, his little laugh just makes me smile.

Over the years, I have felt called to minister to married couples in this way (offering to babysit so they can have some one on one time). At one point I was doing this once a month for 4 different couples, which meant I had anywhere from 2 to 8 kids at my house on any given Friday night. We'd watch movies, bake cookies, roll around on the floor. One night we even had a dance party. We cranked up the music way too loud and danced all through the house. What a blast!

I guess I have a heart for marriage and children. I long to be a wife and mother some day. Now is not the time God has chosen to bring that about in my life. So I feel compelled to help those around me have better marriages.

Last week I think I was more blessed than anyone to have spent time with Emily. She is not quite 2 years old, and she is in a hugging phase right now. That night I probably got more hugs from her than I've gotten in the past 6 months. She would be playing or doing something, and she'd stop, grin at me, then run towards me full speed until she crashed into me, wrapping her little arms around my neck. At one point I laid on the floor and she spent 30 minutes climbing all over me. She stood on my head, sat on my shoulders, rolled all over the place. We had a blast. And I felt so full of love when I left. Isn't that how it always is?

I'm amazed at how God uses something so seemingly unimportant to bless so much. If you think you aren't a minister or have no talents or abilities, think again! God can use something as simple as babysitting to do wonderous things.

Sometimes I get bogged down thinking I have to do some big production to be useful for God. Big productions are great, but I have ministry opportunities at my feet every day. Besides, some people were designed to be on-stage, out front, doing the big production. Others were meant to be in the shadows talking to the unwed mother, holding a sleeping child, wiping the tear of a recent widow, taking cookies to the nurses working the third shift, paying someone's power bill, holding the hand of a 93 year old Alzheimer's patient, or inviting a visitor at church to sit with them in Sunday school. Whether you are out front or in the background, your ministry can be powerful. God can and will use everything about us for His purposes if we are open to that.

Consider what unexpected way you might minister to someone...

No comments: