Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Dead Battery

This morning started like any other morning. I got ready for work as usual. As I got into my car to leave, however, the battery was dead. My car groaned (as I often do first thing in the morning) and refused to crank. I called my super hero friend Lisa to beg a boost. As usual she was more than willing to accommodate me. We hooked up the jumper cables, you know, black to red, red to black. Sparks were flying, but we assumed it was supposed to do that. When Lisa started her car there was a flash of light and a loud bang followed by a plume of smoke. Just kidding. We jumped the car off with no problem...

Lisa coming to my rescue has really made me think a lot about relationships. God uses my friends and family to pick me up quite often. I get a "charge" by being around them. Sometimes my batteries are low because I have been running too long without any rest and I just need a boost. Sometimes I am feeling spiritually dead and need the full shock treatment. I am so thankful that God designed us to need other people. It is so neat to me that He knits us together in such a perfect way. Despite different interests, talents, goals, fears, and experineces, He uses all of that to shape us. And best of all, He gives us those extra shoulders to help carry our burdens! Isn't God the best?

Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. Proverbs 27:17

Two are better than one because they have a good return for their labor. For if either of them falls, the one will lift up his companion. But woe to the one who falls when there is not another to lift him up. Furthermore, if two lie down together they keep warm, but how can one be warm alone? Eccl 4:9-11 (Cool, God likes to snuggle!)

You are my friends, if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you. John 15:15 (Jesus, the best friend of all!)

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I was glad to use my "super hero" powers and give you a boost yesterday! You have no idea how many times your faith, compassion and encouragement have re-charged me--including last night's prayer session. Thanks for praying for me when I don't have the strength to pray for myself. I don't know what I did to deserve the immense blessing of your friendship--God is so good!