Monday, July 31, 2006

Buck Naked Faith

OK. I have to tell you about a new book I am reading. The name of it is "Buck Naked Faith." (Sorry for all you pervs who happened upon this post as a result of a misguided word search...) I am only 17 pages in, and already I'm hooked. The book opens with this statement, "Sex with a stranger wasn't supposed to end this way." You think that's intriguing? The story that follows is AMAZING. I was breathless after I read it. Won't tell you why - read it yourself.

Yes, this is a Christian book that takes a deep look into all the crap that stunts our spiritual growth. The first chapter that I mentioned previously is so thought provoking - it alone is worth the price of the book.

Here are some tiny nibbles from another passage:

"One of my deepest temptations is to practice a lifestyle that appears to be a faithful friendship with Christ but really isn't. To be a Cheese Puff Christian - lots of volume but little substance. Cheese Puffs take up space in the bowl, but crush them and you're lucky to get a tablespoon of substance out of them..."

"Have I measured the genuineness of my faith by how well I'm performing, or by how well Jesus and I are doing? Am I willing to admit that in a world of marshmallow spirituality my faith and relationship with Jesus the Master may be lacking? Something in my spirit keeps crying out, 'There must be more!'"

"Sometimes moments of tension are actually God's grace leading us to a crisis of decision."

The book starts off talking about walking the walk. Are we really who we say we are? I won't ruin the book for you, but so far I'm sold!! He is hitting my target square on. I so desperately want something more, something deeper. To be the real thing. Umm Umm Good Stuff!!

I am also reading Blue Like Jazz. I'm only about 19 pages into this one, but it rocks! I'll give you more details on that one next time. I suddenly have a stack of books to read. I admit, I have a problem. I am a book junkie. If you recommend a good book to me, in my quest to purchase it - I will probably also buy 4 others. That's what happened to me a week or so ago. But, hey. It's like Christmas in July for me. I order my books from Amazon.com and then get little packages in the mail. What fun!!

No comments: