Saturday, July 29, 2006

Boys and their toys

I have to say, men crack me up. I love how silly they can be. It always brings a smile to my face to see how grown men act just like little kids when they have something electronic, shiny, loud or fast in their possession. And if you can add fire or an explosion - all the better. I love the look that creeps across their face as their eyes widen and the grin slowly begins to form, right before they start nodding their heads and say, "Cool!" I love how crude they can be (truthfully, they are only saying what all the girls are really thinking but are too 'ladylike' to say). I love their sense of adventure, and the fact that they don't care (or even notice) if someone else is dressed like them. Most of all, I love the fact that their adventurous spirit knows nothing of age. I have seen a grandpa's eyes sparkle with fascination when presented with a new "toy."

Recently a good friend of mine emailed me to make sure I knew the new XBox SEC College Football game had come out. I don't even have an XBox. He was so excited that he left work at lunch to go pick his copy up from the store (a copy that he pre-ordered months ago, I'm sure). He then told me about how his best friend (grown man, married with 3 kids) had come to town one weekend and they spent half the weekend playing with his new "toys." He just purchased some ginormous TV. He also has a killer surround sound system that makes the walls shake. I can just picture these 2 grown men sitting cross-legged on the floor in front of this huge TV like 2 little boys. And it brings a smile to my face.

Ladies, I know we may not get as excited about fast cars, 60 inch TVs, massive stereo systems or explosives like the guys do - but we could stand to learn a thing or two from them. Sometimes, we just need to throw our hair in ponytails, forget the make-up and perfume and just go sniff out some adventure (all too often, our adventure consists of plotting to find the perfect man...). Throw caution to the wind every once in a while. Run through your neighbors sprinklers. Play a video game. Blow something up (in a completely controlled environment, of course). Sometimes we just need to let go and surrender to our inner child.

If you are sitting at home wondering why your man hasn't called, it's probably because he's out lighting something on fire with his buddies and time has escaped him. Oh, one more thing...I would also suggest you learn a thing or two about a small brown spherical object that is slightly pointed on each end and flies through the air. For some reason, this mystical creature emerges in the Fall and is worshipped by millions. Small charismatic house churches are formed all over the country in celebration of its existence. There are dance moves, chants, sometimes even spiritual bursts of exuberance, and a whole new language that must be learned in order to join this sect - but there must be something to it. It can evoke more emotion from a man than 20 Lifetime movies put together.

Ah, yes. Men. They are a magical lot. Simple observance of them is adventure in and of itself. Thank you, guys, for making us laugh and keeping life interesting. We love you just the way you are (and remember, we are always here if you ever want to talk about your feelings...)!






(This is me and my friend Ronnie. We were making mud-pies. I don't know if I was trying to domesticate him or if he was trying to ungirlify me...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to say this one cracks me up. But so true -- in my opinion.
Very well written.
Mignon