Saturday, July 15, 2006

Where was I?

I had no idea how easily distracted I am until a few minutes ago when I had to leave the computer to go look for a serial killer.

Let me explain. I am sitting at my computer, and I hear the "beep beep beep" sound that my alarm system makes when an exterior door in my house is opened. My roommate is out shopping, so no one should be coming in. Mildly concerned, I get up from my desk, assume the "let's go check for serial killers" stance, and proceed to walk through the house.

Luckily, I found no serial killers - however, here's what I did find. A pile of videos in the middle of the hallway. 5 or 6 shopping bags in the middle of the living room floor. My DVD player sitting there with the tray open, no DVD.

Backtrack with me a moment. I went shopping this morning with a friend. I came home from shopping, and dropped a bunch of bags on the living room floor. My plan was to sit down and wrap some gifts. I decided to pop in a movie to watch while wrapping. I got up, ejected a movie from the DVD player and went into the hallway looking for a new selection. As I looked, somehow I decided I needed to weed out my movie collection and toss some in the yard sale pile. After doing this, my DVD shelf had more room and some of the shelves needed to be re-arranged. I got up to come into my office to look for the extra little brackety things you use to adjust the height level of the shelves. I didn't find them, so I decided to sit down and check my email. Somehow I ended up blog surfing and here I am. The trail of unfinished projects I left behind is still winding through the house (and I still haven't found the little brackety things).

I'm always joking with my friends who have children and telling them that I probably shouldn't be allowed to have kids. I can barely get myself out the door with all my clothes on (and on time, no less) - much less with someone else to worry about. I hate to think what today's scene might look like if I did have kids. I can just see one of them all soaped up in the tub - turning all wrinkly because I left to get a towel and ended up re-arranging the living room furniture.

So Melannie, when was it that you needed me to watch Emily for you?

1 comment:

Eric Gwin said...

Hey Al!

I started typing this comment, but something distracted me and now I've completely forgotten what I was going to say. Oh well...