Friday, June 09, 2006

Internet Predators

In case you haven't heard, Dateline NBC has a new program out called "To Catch a Predator" which is about catching adults who attempt to solicit underage children on-line for sex. I don't know why I watch it because it makes me so upset, but if I happen to turn on the TV and it's on, I always end up watching it. Their latest episode was on one night this week, and I was appalled at the new twist that seemed to arise. Every episode usually has at least one incident that will cause your jaw to drop, but this one caused my heart to break.

Each episode they broadcast from a different city. They've been in New York, California, Florida, and this week they were in Ohio. They wanted to see if men who lived in rural areas, quiet towns, miles from any big cities would be as predatory as in the larger cities of previous episodes. Unfortunately, perversion and hormones run just as strong whether you are in the city or out in the sticks. Some of these guys would drive hours to get to the undercover house. But the new twist that was introduced here was religion. Over and over again, these men would come in and talk about God, church, religion. Some wore crosses around their necks. One was from a Christian school. Keep in mind these men were there with the notion they would be having sex with a 14 year old girl. They had copies of their on-line chats that were so graphic they couldn't read them on TV. But when they were busted, they tried playing the "religion" card.

At first I was speechless. I still can't decide what to think. I know that Christian men struggle with lust and all the things of the flesh. I know they are human. That doesn't make it right for them to seek out sex with children, but I am saying that I know they aren't immune to temptation. What breaks my heart is the damage these men did to the Kingdom of God by going on national TV and trying to use God as a 'get out of jail free' card. For a moment, I thought, "Well - maybe it will help the world to see that Christians aren't perfect and they also struggle." But that feeling was soon overridden by dismay.

These days it is often difficult, if not impossible to see the difference between Christians and non-Christians. Yes, Christians struggle. But many times it seems we aren't even fighting temptation any more. We find ourselves in the pig slop, wallowing around right along side the world. No wonder so many people are turned off to Christianity. Why would they want to dedicate themselves to a life that so often is fraught with hypocrisy? We are supposed to look different from everyone else. We are supposed to live differently than the world. Yet so often, we show up one after the other - seeking the very things that eat our souls alive, the things God hates.

I guess this is such a pet peeve for me because I see it so much in my own life. Don't worry, I don't surf the net looking for children to have sex with - but I often see myself blending in with my co-workers. Is my speech different from theirs? Do I laugh at the same jokes they do? When they get in my car to go to lunch, what will they hear playing in my CD player? Does my life look like one that belongs to God? Do they see me serving them and others as I should? Do I join in on the gossip circuit? Does my anger boil over into tyrannical ranting? Do I seek to get ahead regardless of who I may be stepping on? Are all my business deals above board and fair? Do I play by the rules? Can they trust me? Do I think more highly of myself than I ought? The list could go on and on.

I don't want to have to get busted on national TV or in the boardroom before I decide to play the "God" card. I want everyone to look at me like I am crazy and make fun of me at cocktail parties because I am the only one not drinking and cussing. I want them to excuse themselves when they tell off color jokes or use filthy language around me. I want them to know they can come to me with the darkest secret of their lives, and KNOW it will be safe with me. I want them to feel appreciated, loved, encouraged, protected and respected by me. I want them to look at my business portfolio and know that every account in it is one that was developed with honesty and integrity. I want them to see me treat my most vile clients with the utmost respect. I want them to see that I am joyfully different and filled with inexplicable peace no matter the circumstance. God has called us to live this life.

We all struggle. I know I sure do. While my sin may not be quite as public as Dateline NBC, I am reminded by that show that my actions do speak volumes to those around me. What kind of influence am I having for the Kingdom? Are my struggles overwhelming me to the point I look no different than the world? If so, I say we must take radical steps to move back toward God. We are SUPPOSED to look different than the world.

"Loving God means keeping his commandments, and really, that isn't difficult. For every child of God defeats this evil world by trusting Christ to give the victory. And the ones who win this battle against the world are the ones who believe that Jesus is the Son of God.

We know that those who have become part of God's family do not make a practice of sinning, for God's Son holds them securely, and the evil one cannot get his hands on them. We know that we are children of God and that the world around us is under the power and control of the evil one. And we know that the Son of God has come, and he has given us understanding so that we can know the true God. And now we are in God because we are in his Son, Jesus Christ. He is the only true God, and he is eternal life. Dear children, keep away from anything that might take God's place in your hearts."

I John 5:3-5;18-21

Sometimes I look at myself and the world around me and wonder if I will ever live up. Will I ever be the dynamic person God has called me to be? Will the desire in my heart ever become stronger than the fear in my mind? Funny how I often long for perfection, yet God always works so powerfully through weakness. Oh, that my weaknesses would be perfection in His hands.

No comments: