Thursday, June 15, 2006

Creation

I don't know about you, but I am a creation junky. When I get into the creative zone, I lose all track of time and find it hard to stop. I love that feeling of being awake at 2:00 A.M., eyes all red, body tired - yet so exhilarated by the project at hand you can't figure how it got to be so late. I've been there many times, often covered in paint or knee deep in something.

My former roommate used to make fun of me because I say everything takes 20 minutes. Maybe I think that because it only feels like 20 minutes when I am in that zone. In the same way a thousand years is as a day and a day a thousand years to God, so it is with me and creative time. I have been known to go to my bedroom with the intention of going to bed only to end up re-arranging furniture for several hours. When I get that itch, I can't sit still (or sleep) until I've done something about it. And with me, there typically are no simple projects. I seem to have a flair for the elaborate (what can I say, one idea sparks another and another and another...).

As I was on my way home from photography class tonight, I passed a small store with the windows mostly covered in paper. The lights were on inside, and through one uncovered window I could see a couple of people inside unpacking, organizing, etc. I wondered if they were simply moving an existing business or if they were starting something new. It was late, and I wondered if they had that tired feeling in their bones. I twinge of envy passed through my body. There is nothing quite like the sense of accomplishment you experience after you've poured your heart and soul into creating something. And, oh the sweet sleep that follows when you fall into bed almost to the point of sheer exhaustion.

While I know God does not grow tired, I can only imagine Him during the Creation. Forming, shaping, painting things with brilliant colors, then standing back to take a look. Adding a little more, make a change here, tweek there. Ah, now - that's it! Then at the end of the process, He kicks back to chill and enjoy that feeling of completion. That "it is finished" feeling.

I can't help but think of another "it is finished" moment. You know the one. The moment that suspended Creation between Heaven and Earth. The moment that made it possible for us to anticipate the final "it is finished" moment with joy. Can you imagine the collective sigh of completion we will all experience when we are all in Heaven? For God, He can kick back now that His kids are home. For us, we can finally relax and kick off our shoes. Kind of like that feeling you get when returning home from a long trip. We'll all be there together, with that fullness in our bones, that sense of completion and wholeness. It is finished. Woohoo! I can't wait! But I do wonder how long it will take before I start wanting to re-arrange the furniture in my mansion! ;)

No comments: