Thursday, January 06, 2005

A Year Of Change

Last year I declared that 2005 was going to be a year of tremendous change for me. Not change that I necessarily initiated, but major change nonetheless. I really felt God speaking to my heart that some big changes and growth spurts were around the corner. As 2004 drew to a close, I began to feel like an eight year old on Christmas Eve. I relayed my feelings to some other Christians and was told they felt the same way. One girl told me that her pastor had stated that 2005 was going to be a year of tremendous blessings for all Christians everywhere. Long awaited prayers would be answered. Blessings would be in abundance. Growth would be tremendous. The more I prayed, shared with other Christians and eagerly anticipated this new year, the more excited I got.

I spent New Year's Eve with a very close friend who shares my desire and excitement for change, growth, blessing and answered prayers in 2005. We spent 2 1/2 hours praying in the New Year. I have been on a spiritual high since.

One of my goals for this year is to read 52 new books that will challenge me spiritually. One book per week. This week I am reading John Ortberg's "The Life You've Always Wanted." Every time I open that book, I get so excited and inspired and challenged that I have to stop and tell people around me.

I started a new job at work on January 3rd. I have had to move to a new desk, which is right beside the one person in the office that no one wants to be around. She is extremely negative and just down right hateful sometimes. To make matters worse, part of my job responsibilities are taking over some accounts she used to handle. So she is very defensive and suspicious of anything I do. In 2004 and prior, this would have sent my blood pressure through the roof. But not now. 2005 is my year of change! In fact, I was challenged by her attitude this very day. I recalled something I had read in Jon Owen's blog the other day about God not giving us the treatment we deserved, and how we need to remember that when dealing with difficult people. So I jumped up and ran to the bathroom and prayed for God to help me to bless this woman, to serve her, to deal with her in Grace, and for God to give her the peace and joy that is so lacking from her life. When I returned to my desk, she was quiet and I was calm. Excited, actually.

Interestingly, my new assistant is a Christian. So far, every day we have started the day either with prayer or discussion about God and His Word. We often talk about God and what He is saying to us and doing in our lives. I don't think it is a mistake that she and I are sitting next to the office grouch--because she is free to overhear every conversation we have!

Everywhere I turn, God is speaking to me. Tonight I was at the drugstore and happened to pick up a candle. On the box was a word from God. "Let go. Clean the slate and gain courage for a fresh start. Daring starts from within. You have a safe passage to grow beyond your self-imposed limitations. Inside, your life force energy (which I know is God) burns strongly. If you'll listen, you'll discover what your soul is trying to tell you. Imagine yourself soaring like an eagle high above mundane daily details. Suddenly, your soul takes flight. As you soar, you can finally see the larger landscape around you. It's full of new possibilities. Things are clearer. Be alert to what is beginning to awaken in you."

So many things have happened to me this week. So many things have been spoken to my heart. Clouds are starting to part and some things are starting to become clear. Other things that are not yet clear have begun to burn inside me with a passion to seek God for the answers. When I declared 2005 a Year of Change, I didn't realize how abundant and overflowing it would be just in the first week!!! I can't wait to see what the rest of the year holds--not only for me, but for all Christians everywhere!!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

It was such an honor and a blessing to spend New Year's praying with you--I too have been on a spiritual high since, as I usually am after praying with close friends who are committed to God and obedience to Him. I'm looking forward to yet another year of our friendship growing even more and "sharpening our irons"!

BTW, I absolutely loved The Life You've Always Wanted. I also have another of Ortberg's books, Love Beyond Reason--another fantastic book. Feel free to borrow it anytime.

Thanks for blessing me with your friendship and with this blog!

K said...

If you are looking for books for the year, I have a recommendation. It's an oldie but wow! "Let Prayer Change Your Life" by Becky Tirabassi. It rocked my world!

Peace,
K

Anonymous said...

I know you can do this new job--no doubt about it! God has put so many special talents and abilities in you and I know you are going to be a wonderful blessing and asset in this new position. I will be praying for you.
Tracie