Monday, October 18, 2004

Party Game

As promised, here are the instructions for my new party game:

Invite your friends over and ask them to bring a Bible and concordance (if possible). You might also want to have a Thesaurus on hand.

There are no "points" in this game. The only point is to help us to recognize God more readily, and to see Him in absolutely everything.

The game goes something like this. Look around the room. What's the first thing you see. A chair? Okay. Now let your mind explore the word chair for a moment. How can you connect that to God? Try looking up the words "throne," "seat," "seated," and "chair" in your concordances. Then look up the verses in the Bible.

Next thing you see. A lamp? Okay, trying looking up "light" or "lamp." See where I'm going? It's great to have a thesaurus on hand to help expand your search. You can do this with just about anything you see.

The more you play this game, I think you'll be amazed at how alive the world becomes to you. You might be driving down the road and see a tree and think of Christ hanging from a tree. The road itself might remind you that 'small is the gate and narrow is the road that leads to life...'(Mt 7:13-14). Maybe you see a dog and are reminded of the Canaanite woman in Matthew 15 whose daughter was suffering from demon possession. She told Christ that even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from the master's table. Because of her faith, her daughter was healed.

The point is to train yourself to see God in everything. It's a fun thing to do with friends. Your excitement will build off of each other. And discovering God together always brings people closer together!

Enjoy! And let me know how it goes...

3 comments:

Nevadan said...

I like that game. I will try it. Thanks. Our pastor says an angel is anyone who speaks for God. Thanks angel!

Lisa said...

Maybe we should play that on our next girls' night out? Thanks for the idea...I always appreciate your eye for seeing God in everything--it has definitely helped me see Him in unexpected ways!

Lisa

Maggie said...

Hi!
Jon Owen is a good friend of mine and he told me that I would enjoy your posts. I would have to agree. That is a really neat idea, I should try it some time. It would be nice if we could go back and forth reading each others post... I know I will gain from reading yours and I hope you will find mine to be just as helpful.
God Bless,
Maggie