Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Black Out and Clue In

I think we should have a National Black Out Day. This would be a day with
no electricity. We wouldn't be allowed to drive cars. We'd be forced to
slow down.

Let me just say that I am the last person in the world you might imagine to
survive without modern conveniences. My friends compare me to Suzanne
Sugarbaker and laugh at the thought of me going camping (that's another
story for another day). I am the person with white knuckles sitting in
traffic reminding myself that I am a Christian and don't use those kinds of
words. I hate to be hot. A day in Alabama with no electricity would be
brutal, but I think we need it nonetheless.

Hear me out. I recently watched a movie about an attorney who had to go
live on an Amish farm for a period of time while working on a case. She had
to go 20 miles up the road to use a phone. The only light she had at night
came from an oil lamp on her bedside table. She had to function without her
computer. It was quite the adjustment.

Growing up, my Grandpa used to take me to Tennessee to some Amish farms
there. He used to buy syrup and other things from them. I always thought
they were so weird. No electricity, boring clothes, no cars, etc. I can
remember one trip in particular where I stayed in the car and an Amish boy
around my age (10 or so) came over to the car. He stood right outside my
window and just stared at me. I guess we were weird to them too.

They worked with their hands all day. They worked hard. Families and
communities pulled together to get things done. Yes, it may take longer to
get somewhere or to get something done. But the quality of life for them is
so different from ours. If you've ever bought furniture or baskets from the
Amish, you will know that the quality of craftsmanship is significantly
greater than something you could buy at the mall. Made to last, sturdy.
They put their hearts and souls into what they do. Probably because they
have time to.

What if we were forced once in a while to slow down, to do things the old
fashioned way. What if we really took pride in our work, quality rather
than quantity. What if we spent time really talking to our families rather
than watching TV. What if we slowed down long enough to remember what's
really important, to invest ourselves into people. What if we all did that,
even for just one day.

Maybe we need a time to "black out" so we can clue in to what really matters
in life.


3 comments:

Dillemma said...

Hihi, i was just browsing all the blogs and i was reading yours and you sound alot like me... not totally like me, but in the way that you think, like me... im an artist too and im reading your "about me" spot, i can totally relate... ill keep an eye on your blogger and am ready to read more... *Grin*

John Owens said...

Aleah, I'm more than happy to do a blackout day. Let me just make sure my laptop and cell batteries are charged. I should be able to make it through one day, anyway. I'll also need wireless internet connection. :)

Ok, seriously. I struggle with this so much. Slow down? What in the world? I've got vital organs I'd rather give you than to give up my rapid pace, internet, and a host of other gadgets.

Somehow in our society, we've come to a point where business has become an escape from depth in relationship/work/quality life like you mentioned, but even more so, it's a point of validation. The busier I am, the more important I am. So untrue. I wish I could slow down.

Great thoughts. Don't wait another week. Keep 'em coming.

Lisa said...

Sis,

I'm right there with you (easier now to think about with the weather actually turning cooler...let's schedule Blackout Day for mid-October or early November, where it's neither too hot nor too cold!).

Seriously, slowing down from time to time is so needed. Less than a month ago, we dealt with Hurricane Ivan and the lack of electricity for a couple of days. We survived, right? And it definitely made me appreciate electricity more when I had to go without for a while. We're so spoiled! SO blessed!

Keep up the writing...you inspire me!