Monday, August 28, 2006

The Big Move

Approximately 2 1/2 years ago, my dear friend Stacye (aka 'the Sister') moved in with me and my other roommate. Stacye and I can both be very obstinate (I'm sure my parents will offer a hearty 'Amen' to that one...). In the course of the last move, there were a few moments when the Sister and I wondered if either of us would make it out alive.

If you've ever moved, you know it is a stressful, emotional and potentially volatile time. At one point during the last move, there was a moment when all the stress and tension came boiling to the surface and the Sister and I stood inches apart like referee and coach, engaged in a heated discussion about what to place on the truck next. My mother had to step in and break us apart. We stomped off to the U-Haul, got in together, huffed and screeched off for our destination.

While unloading boxes at the second destination, I accidentally hit the Sister in the butt with a box while she was bent over doing who knows what. That force propelled her head first into the room of boxes. She came up fighting like a wildcat. By this time, I was so tired that everything was hilarious...so I started laughing. That only made matters worse.

We did have to go through an adjustment phase, but it all worked out. We've lived together for about 2 1/2 years, and now she is moving out. The big move is Saturday, and we can already feel the tension beginning to mount. We were laughing about it tonight as we sat amongst the tornado that is our home. Boxes and 'stuff' is piled everywhere. I think the anticipation of the mountain that lies ahead has us on edge. Who knows, there could be a body bag in someone's future.

Please pray for us this weekend. More importantly - pray for the poor unsuspecting souls that are coming to help us move. Then again, maybe a live WWF match right on the front lawn will provide high entertainment for everyone.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I HATE that I am going to be out of town and miss a prime opportunity to have a front-row seat to the wrestling match! If you get the fighting...I mean, moving started early on Thursday night, let me know so I can come watch!