Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Hurricane Ivan

Recently hurricane Ivan blew through my area of the country. Because I live in an older neighborhood full of mature trees, I decided to go stay elsewhere with family. As I packed to leave, I walked through the house looking for sentimental items to take with me. As I made my search, I thought, "Okay, in case the roof blows off, save what you really want." I was amazed at what few things I took.

Modern technology and the speed of the storm allowed us plenty of time to prepare. I wasn't running frantically through the house grabbing things as if I only had minutes to spare. I took my time, walking around and really looking for things that couldn't be replaced. During the process, I came to the conclusion that I can live without most of my "stuff." In fact, when my walk-through was over, I basically felt as if I was saying, "Okay, Ivan. I got what I want. You can take the rest."

It makes me wonder why in the world we work so hard and go into so much debt in order to obtain "things." I think I will do a "walk-through" from time to time (regardless of impending disaster) to remind myself that I can live without all of this. Funny how easily distracted we are by bling, huh?

No comments: