Monday, December 04, 2006

I didn't make my bed today. Well, let's be honest - there are a lot of days that I don't make my bed. Frankly, I'm lucky to get out of the house with all my clothes on, much less make the bed. I can't imagine how in the world I am going to manage getting kids ready some day - but that's another blog for another day.

As I said, I didn't make my bed today. When I got home from work, much to my dismay, I discovered my bed to be covered in leaves. I have a dog that uses a doggie door. Right now my back yard is covered in leaves. Therefore, when Cooper comes in, so do the leaves. My initial reaction to the leaves was one of frustration. But my frustration quickly turned to warm fuzzies as I began to think about little Cooper all snuggled up in my bed today while I was at work.

When I am at home, he likes to be in the same room as me. It doesn't matter what I am doing, or if he's sleeping or not - he just wants to be close. I guess being in my bed makes him feel close to me when I am away. It kind of reminds me of being a child - the one place kids always seem to feel the safest is in their parents' bed. I don't know why. I'm sure there is some psychological explanation for it, but it's beyond me. What I do know is that I feel the same way with God.

While I often wrestle with God in prayer over many things, I still find so much comfort in Him. Even though I don't always understand Him, I am humbled that He would allow someone as human as me to enter into His Presence. There is such peace there. Even in the midst of storms, there's just something about being in His Presence that lets you know it will all work out somehow.

I'll never forget my first plane ride. I was beyond mortified. With each tremor of turbulence, I was praying as hard as I could. The words were flowing through my mind faster than I could think them. And each new tremor would bring a new wave of beseeching. That was the only thing that kept me sane. I'm a LITTLE calmer in the air now, but not much. Each time I fly, I experience a whole new level of spirituality!

I am trying to make time every day to sit in God's presence, to experience that feeling of peace, comfort, joy and love. If you can relish it in the good times, it makes it easier to cherish in the bad times. Building a relationship and getting comfortable on His lap now will make that safe haven feel more like home when the storms come.

The name of the Lord is a strong fortress; the godly run to Him and are safe.
-Proverbs 18:10

No comments: