Thursday, February 23, 2006

Bible Advice

Things at work have been pretty crazy lately. I found a short devotional that really fit our situation, so I emailed it to a few co-workers. One of them came to me in tears after reading it. Basically, she knows she needs God in her life, but has never gone to church, never read the Bible. We talked for a little while, and I am hoping to study the Bible with her.

My plan is to buy her a Bible. She doesn't own one right now. The problem is that I am a Bible junky. I have over 20 Bibles in as many translations. Study Bibles. Story Bibles. Plain text Bibles. Old Bibles. New Bibles. Daily Bibles. etc, etc, etc. Any opinions as to what would be the best Bible to buy someone with ZERO Bible knowledge?

I am leaning toward a Bible in the New Living translation. Would a study Bible be overwhelming? Not to me, but I am trying to think like someone who has never picked up a Bible.

Any thoughts? Words of wisdom?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think a study Bible would be too much for someone with no previous Bible exposure. Might scare them off. Start simple. Just text. NLT is a good choice.